10 hours (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Explore the medieval history of Romania’s southerly neighbor on a full-day tour to Bulgaria. Departing from Bucharest, cross the border into the foothills of the Balkan Mountains and Veliko Tarnovo, the capital of Bulgaria during medieval times. Learn about Bulgarian history from your guide while visiting regional highlights including the Tsaravets Fortress, St Dimitrie Basarabov Monastery and Arbanasi Village.
- Cross the border into Bulgaria on a full-day tour from Bucharest
- Explore the medieval city of Veliko Tarnovo, nestled in the foothills of the Balkan Mountains
- Learn about Bulgaria's medieval history from a knowledgeable guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at centrally located hotels included
Saved to wishlist!
Professional tour guide
Transportation by modern air-conditioned car/minibus
Pick-up from your accommodation in Bucharest
Entrance tickets for: Basarabov Monastery, Veliko Tarnovo Fortress (approx 5 euro/ person)
Lunch and other personal expenses
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from your accommodation in Bucharest
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 4 participants is required to organise the tour
- A current, valid passport is required
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of the day and traffic conditions
- Children under 4 years-old cannot join shared tours. Please contact us for a private tour offer
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Please, make sure you owe all the necessary documents and permissions for crossing the border.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Gray Line Romania
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest?
The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest?
The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What is the social distancing policy during Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest?
The policy on social distancing is:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest?
The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "Things are cheaper in Bulgaria than Romania, so don't exchange too much money." See review
- "I would recommend tour guides wear name tags or give a name card, travellers are so tired we do forget names sometimes." See review
- "Be aware that there a lot of steps to climb at both the monastery and at Veliko Tărnovo but the views are outstanding." See review
Compare Similar Experiences
Day Trip to Bulgaria from Bucharest
3 hours 30 minutes
2 hours 50 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Bus ToursHistorical ToursFull-day ToursCultural & Theme ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsTours & SightseeingBucharestBus Tours - WallachiaHistorical Tours - WallachiaFull-day Tours - WallachiaBus Tours - BrasovHistorical Tours - BrasovFull-day Tours - BrasovBus Tours - Veliko TarnovoHistorical Tours - Veliko TarnovoFull-day Tours - Veliko TarnovoCategory
Romanian Athenaeum (Ateneul Roman)National Museum of Romanian History (Muzeul National de Istorie a Romaniei)LipscaniVictoriei Street (Calea Victoriei)Holocaust MemorialPasajul Macca-Vilacrosse (Macca-Villacrosse Passage)Stavropoleos Monastery (Manastirea Stavropoleos)Bucharest University PalaceGeorge Enescu National Museum (Cantacuzino Palace)CEC Palace (Palatul CEC)Grigore Antipa National Museum of Natural HistoryRomanian Peasant Museum (Muzeul National al Taranului Roman)National Museum of Art of Romania (Muzeul National de Arta al Romaniei)Bucharest Jewish History MuseumArcul de Triumf (Arch of Triumph)Choral Temple (Templul Coral)Patriarchal Cathedral (Metropolitan Church)