State Darwin Museum
You could easily spend a whole morning or afternoon browsing the many galleries at the State Darwin Museum. Exhibitions focus on the diversity of life on Earth, the origin of species, natural selection and evolution, and the Earth’s diverse ecosystems. Highlights include lifelike dinosaur models, an impressive collection of wildlife art, and a display of more than 800 animals species, among them very rare birds such as the extinct dodo, the passenger pigeon, and the majestic huia.
Things to Know Before You Go
Entrance to the State Darwin Museum is included with the Moscow Pass.
Signs and exhibition information are in Russian, so it’s worth visiting with a guide.
On-site facilities include three museum shops and two cafés.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the museum.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The museum is located around 7.5 miles (12 kilometers) southwest of downtown Moscow. Take the metro to Akademicheskaya station (line 6), from where it’s a short signposted walk to the museum.
When to Get There
The State Darwin Museum is open daily except Mondays. It’s a popular choice with local families on the weekends, so opt for a weekday morning for a quieter visit.
Museums of Moscow
The State Darwin Museum is one of many museums in Moscow. For art lovers, the State Tretyakov Gallery has one of the world's biggest collections of Russian art, while the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts has works by Botticelli and Rembrandt. The Museum of Industry and the Bunker-42 Museum offer a fascinating glimpse into Soviet history, while the Armory Museum is a must-see for anyone touring the Kremlin.
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Kharkiv
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kazan
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Volgograd
- Things to do in Southern Russia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Moscow Metro (Moskovskiy Metropoliten)
- Novodevichy Convent (Novodevichiy Monastyr)
- Red Square (Krasnaya Ploshchad)
- Mosfilm Film Studio
- Garage Museum of Contemporary Art
- Leo Tolstoy State Museum (Muzey L.N. Tolstogo)
- Gorky Park (Park Gorkogo)
- Victory Museum
- Red October Chocolate Factory (Krasny Oktyabr)
- A.S. Pushkin Memorial Apartment (Memorial'naya Kvartira A.S. Pushkina)
- Tretyakov Gallery (Tretyakovskaya Galereya)
- Pushkin Museum (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts)
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior (Khram Khrista Spasitelya)
- Kremlin Armoury (Armoury Chamber)