Museum of Contemporary Art in Krakow (MOCAK)
Visitors to MOCAK (Muzeum Sztuki Współczesnej w Krakowie in Polish) gain a firsthand understanding of the contemporary art scene in Poland through the museum’s Polish and international exhibitions. Many travelers combine a trip to MOCAK with other Krakow attractions, such as Oskar Schindler’s Factory, the Rynek Underground, and Town Hall Tower.
Things to Know Before You Go
MOCAK is a must-visit for fans of contemporary art.
Skip the entry lines with an advance-purchase ticket. At the time of purchase you can add on a guided tour in English or French.
Admission is free on Thursdays to MOCAK permanent exhibitions.
The museum has Wi-Fi, a café, and a bookstore selling art books and art-related wares.
Food, drink, and flash photography are not permitted in the museum, and backpacks and luggage must be left in the free cloak room.
MOCAK is fully accessible to wheelchair users; wheelchairs are available at reception.
How to Get There
MOCAK is located on the southern edge of the old Jewish ghetto, which is south of Krakow’s Old Town. From the main train station (Kraków Główny), take tram 50 to Zablocie (which takes eight minutes) or catch a taxi.
When to Get There
The Museum of Contemporary Art is open from 11am to 7pm Tuesday through Sunday, with last entry at 6:30pm. It is closed on various holidays, so check online before visiting. Krakow attracts the most visitors during July and August. To skip the crowds and still get the warmth of spring weather, opt for a May or June visit.
If you’re exploring the former Jewish ghetto in Krakow after visiting MOCAK, don’t miss Oskar Schindler’s Factory, which is situated next door. The former enamel factory of Oskar Schindler, who saved the lives of nearly 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust, is now a fantastic museum that tells the harrowing story of Krakow during World War II.
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Oskar Schindler's Factory (Fabryka Schindlera)
- Ghetto Heroes Square (Plac Bohaterów Getta)
- Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Orlem)
- Cricoteka (Centre for the Documentation of the Art of Tadeusz Kantor)
- Galicia Jewish Museum
- Kazimierz (Krakow Jewish Quarter)
- Old Synagogue (Stara Synagoga)
- Remuh Synagogue (Synagoga Remuh)
- Plac Nowy
- Krakow Ethnographic Museum (Muzeum Etnograficzne w Krakowie)
- Tempel Synagogue (Synagoga Tempel)
- Krakow Pinball Museum
- St. Stanislaus Church (Skalka)
- Planty Park
- Bishop Erazm Ciolek Palace (Polish National Museum in Krakow)