Rue des Forges
The perfect port of call for first-time visitors to Dijon, the Rue des Forges encapsulates the city’s centuries-old beauty and charming ambiance. Host to heritage hôtels particuliers that boast a distinctive blend of architectural styles—including the Hôtel Chambellan, the Maison Maillard, and the Hôtel Aubriot—it is also a bustling thoroughfare lined with boutiques, restaurants, dessert parlors, cafes, and other attractions. As the Rue des Forges links several of the city’s major attractions, including the Palace of the Dukes and Burgundy States, the Dijon Town Hall, and Philippe le Bon Tower, it’s a highlight of most local sightseeing itineraries.
The Rue des Forges can be visited during a sightseeing walking tour of Dijon, and is also simple to visit independently.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Dijon Tourist Information Center, housed in a heritage, half-timbered building, can be found at 34 Rue des Forges.
- A number of delicious chocolate and pastry shops line the Rue des Forges, including Dufoux Chocolat, Chocolats de Neuville Dijon, and Carbillet.
- The Rue des Forges is included in the Historic Center of Dijon UNESCO World Heritage Site, which was created in 2015.
How to Get There
The Rue des Forges is conveniently located in the heart of Dijon. The street is just a 10-minute walk from the Gare de Dijon (the city’s main station, served by numerous mainline trains), and can also be reached by the T1 and T2 trams. Upon arrival, the street is best explored on foot.
When to Get There
The Rue des Forges makes for a picturesque place to wander during the day or after dark, though you should plan to explore during typical daytime opening hours if you wish to visit the historical buildings that line the street. Christmas is a particularly festive time to explore; the Rue des Forges is just steps from the annual Christmas market held at the Place de la Libération, and it is hung with its own lights and decorations each year.
Other Nearby Attractions
The Rue des Forges either connects or is near to many of Dijon’s top attractions. Other must-see area highlights include the Palace of the Dukes and Burgundy States, the Dijon Town Hall, the Dijon Museum of Fine Arts, and the Church of Notre-Dame of Dijon.
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes