While sections of town still offer glimpses of traditional Sichuan architecture and work to preserve the city’s cultural past, the absolute best way to experience the feeling of old Chengdu is to tour inside of the temples which still lay scattered about town.
333 Zhaoqing Rd, Chengdu, China
Surrounded by towering pines, cypress, and bamboo in the foreground and verdant mountains in the distance, Zhaojue Temple is known as a place of peace and tranquility in the otherwise bustling city of Chengdu. Visitors can stroll around the grounds—the temple charges a small entrance fee for cultural visits—and enjoy a meal at the excellent on-site vegetarian restaurant. The temple is located next door to the Chengdu Zoo, and some guided tours to see the animals at the popular Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding also include a stop at Zhaojue Temple.
Things to Know Before You Go
Zhaojue Temple is a must-visit for spiritual travelers, history buffs, and those looking to get off the beaten path.
Give yourself about an hour to tour the temple complex.
Remember to dress respectfully, as this is an active place of worship.
How to Get There
Zhaojue Temple is located at 333 Zhaoqing Road in the Chenghua District of Chengdu, about 3 miles (5 kilometers) from the Chengdu city center. Several buses stop at the Zhaojue Si bus station. You can also take metro line 3 to the Chengdu Zoo.
When to Get There
The temple is open daily throughout the year. Plan to visit on a clear day, particularly if you plan to stop at the zoo next door. Avoid visiting on Chinese national holidays.
Buddhist Temples of Chengdu
While Zhaojue is among the largest and most important of Chengdu’s temples, it certainly isn’t the only one worth visiting. Situated in downtown, Wenshu Monastery is considered one of the best-preserved Buddhist sites in the city, while nearby Daci Temple is where famous monk Xuan Zang was ordained. Baoguang Temple stands north of the city and is known for its well-preserved wooden architecture.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Zhaojue Temple?
What else should I know about attractions in Chengdu?
- Things to do in Southwest China
- Things to do in Chongqing
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Tianshui
- Things to do in Guiyang
- Things to do in Shangri-La
- Things to do in Wuhan
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
- Chengdu Sichuan Opera Art Center
- Kuan Zhai Alley (Kuan Zhai Xiang Zi)
- Happy Valley Chengdu
- Song Xian Qiao Antique Market
- Renmin Park (People's Park)
- Chengdu Culture Park (Wenhua Gongyuan)
- Shufen Yayun Teahouse (Shufeng Yayun)
- Qingyang Palace
- Museum of Sichuan Cuisine (Chuancai Bowuguan)
- Wangjianglou Park (Wangjiang Tower Park)
- Jinli Ancient Street
- Wuhou Memorial Temple (Temple of Marquis Wu)
- Du Fu Cottage
- Jinsha Site Museum
- Sichuan Cuisine
- Visit Leshan Giant Buddha
- See a Sichuan Cultural Show
- Top Chengdu Temples
- 3 Days in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu
- How to Spend 1 Day in Chengdu
- How to Spend 2 Days in Chengdu
- How to Spend 3 Days in Chengdu
- Top Temples in Chengdu
- Sichuan Food Lover's Guide to Chengdu
- Sichuan Cultural Shows in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu