Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
Visitors can discover the works of the Belgian surrealist on a self-guided tour, opt for an audio guide to learn more about Magritte’s life and artistic influences, or purchase a combination ticket including entrance to the neighboring Fin-de-Siècle Museum and the Old Masters Museum. Entrance to the museum is included with the Brussels Card, while Brussels hop-on hop-off tours stop right outside.
Things to Know Before You Go
Visitors may be required to undergo a security check upon entrance, and large bags and backpacks should be checked in the cloakroom.
On-site facilities include restrooms, a museum shop, and a museum café.
The museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Magritte Museum is located on Place Royale in central Brussels, just opposite the Palais Royal de Bruxelles and surrounded by some of the city’s most prestigious art museums. The museum is well served by public transport, with the Gare Centrale train station a seven-minute walk away, the Palais and Royale tram stops nearby, and the Parc metro station a scenic 10-minute walk away, through the Parc de Bruxelles.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily, all year round. The quietest time to visit is on a weekday, but those wanting to take in the surrounding museums should be aware that many are closed on Mondays.
Highlights of the Magritte Museum
The museum’s permanent collection includes more than 200 of Magritte’s works, including oil paintings, sculptures, drawings, posters, photography, and short films. It’s the largest archive of the artist’s work in the world and features favorites such asThe Return,Sky Bird, andEmpire of Light, as well as numerous paintings featuring Magritte’s trademark bowler hats and birds.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Sablon District
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- BELvue Museum
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- Grand Sablon Square (Place du Grand Sablon)
- MOOF Museum
- Hard Rock Cafe Brussels
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral
- Royal Galleries of Saint Hubert (Les Galeries St-Hubert)
- Grand-Place (Grote Markt)
- Brussels City Museum (Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles)
- Brussels Town Hall (Hotel de Ville)