Situated on around 60 acres (24.3 hectares), the Vidhana Soudha is one of Bengaluru’s most recognizable structures. The construction of the Vidhana Soudha started in 1951 and completed in 1956, just after India’s independence. Just south of the Vidhana Soudha is its replica, the Vikasa Soudha. This building was opened in 2005 to house additional legislative and ministerial offices of the Karnataka government. Many city sightseeing tours stop by both.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Vidhana Soudha is a must-visit for architecture fans.
- Most tours only stop outside, as visitors need to get special passes to enter.
- Those visiting independently can apply for passes at gate 1 or 3 of the building.
How to Get There
The Vidhana Soudha is situated in the heart of Bangalore, on the northwestern side of CUbbon Park. The Dr. B.R. Ambedkar station of the Bangalore Metro stops right in front of the building and connects to the Bangalore Railway Station on the Violet Line; the journey takes about 20 minutes.
When to Get There
Vidhana Soudha is a year-round attraction, though visiting hours are limited to a few hours in the afternoon and require getting passes. As such, most people just admire the building from the outside. If you can, try to plan your visit for a Sunday evening or a public holiday, when the building is lit up for a few hours around sunset.
Cubbon Park Right next to the Vidhana Soudha is Cubbon Park, one of Bangalore's most important attractions. It's worth stopping by just to stroll and take in the plants, trees, and birds that call the park home or if you want to visit the Government Museum, with its exceptional collection of archaeological finds from across South India.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Fun World & Water World
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Bangalore Palace
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)