Spread out on more than 450 acres (182 hectares), including a large landscaped garden, this huge palace complex is one of the most popular attractions in Bangalore and a frequent stop on cultural tours. It features an impressive mix of Tudor, Gothic, Victorian, and neoclassical architectural elements.
Visitors are allowed access to a large part of the palace, including gloriously decorated bedrooms, royal halls, and a ballroom. It also houses one of Bangalore's first elevators, which is operated by hand.
Things to Know Before You Go
An audio tour is included with admission.
Travelers must pay extra if they want to use their cameras.
A visit to Bangalore Palace is an excellent choice for history buffs and architecture lovers.
Wheelchair users might find it challenging to get around the palace.
How to Get There
Bangalore Palace is located on the Palace Grounds, off Jayamahal Road in the Vasanth Nagar area, about a 20-minute walk from the Bangalore Cantonment railway station. Getting to Cubbon Park takes around 15 to 20 minutes by taxi or auto rickshaw, traffic permitting, while Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace and Bangalore Fort take about a half-hour to reach by car.
When to Get There
Bangalore Palace is a year-round destination, though it’s partially outside so weather might be a consideration for some visitors. Bangalore’s climate is pleasant throughout the year, with mild winters and slightly cooler summers than many parts of the subcontinent. The monsoon rains that start in early June and continue through August or September can make getting around a bit of a soggy experience, while October through March tend to be cooler and drier.
Concerts at the Palace
For many years, the palace grounds doubled as a concert venue, with huge international acts, such as Elton John, The Prodigy, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, and even the Rolling Stones, performing here. However, the grounds stopped hosting concerts in 2012 due to legal issues, leaving the city without a venue capable of hosting huge crowds. Whether the palace will eventually open up again for concerts or not remains unclear.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Vidhana Soudha
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)
- Fun World & Water World
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)